Drinks subscription services – what you need to know before signing up
Whether you or someone you know are partial to a particular tipple, drinks subscription clubs really can be “the gift that keeps on giving”. There are clubs that specialise in regular deliveries of gins, wines, craft beers and whiskies to mention a few. But all of these clubs vary in what they offer and it’s really important to read the small print. At Summerton Whisky Club, there’s no gimmicks or catches.
Founder Dan Humphrey created the club when he wanted to buy a special bottle for his whisky – loving dad at Christmas, but was left feeling uninspired by what was on the supermarket shelves. He wanted to find something his dad may not have tried before or heard about and started to think it would be fantastic to receive aged whiskies throughout the year so he could learn more about it. Failing to find anything suitable online, Dan decided to set up his own whisky club, sourcing rare and sometimes unique craft whiskies from across the world to bring to the UK market. He guarantees his members will receive a full size bottle every other month which cannot be bought for less than the £50 subscription price.
Members don’t know what they will be getting as it is kept a surprise, but they certainly won’t get a regular supermarket brand. In the past unusual single malts and blends from small batch distillers from diverse countries such as Sweden, Scotland, Japan and America have been sent out along with tasting notes.
At Summerton Whisky Club all members get a fully innovative and immersive whisky experience.
Here’s the Summerton Whisky Club’s Guide on what you need to know about drinks subscription clubs.
- Worried about the bottles stacking up? Summerton send bottles out every other month, but you can you pause deliveries if you want to.
- Are the bottles full size? Some clubs only send smaller bottles out. Summerton Whisky Club always send full size.
- Does the bottle come with any freebies? Be careful about this Dan advises, cheap unwanted extras such as crisps, nuts, mixers or glasses may lure people into thinking they are getting more for their money at the detriment to the quality or value of the spirit or wine. Summerton choose to plough the price of the subscription into the very best bottles they can source – nothing else.
- What are the Ts and Cs? Always read the small print. For instance, how easy is it to cancel? Summerton Whisky Club is completely transparent – you can end membership at the click of a button by logging into your account rather than having to hunt for a phone number or have a sales person convince you to stay
- Are you getting a full experience? At Summerton they don’t take your money and run. Dan and his team of whisky experts take the time to speak to their members and personally answer any questions online or over the phone. They offer priority tickets for Summerton events such as private tastings, whisky festivals and distillery tours too.